Search This Blog

Sunday 19 June 2011

The Degree Show


The above photo is a dramatisation of events, which may have occurred in a parallel universe 

The text below refers to the actual events, in our universe

So Don never did show up, and Kirk might not have beamed down from the Enterprise to seduce Betty, however alot of other people did turn up - I can say with great certainty I've never seen so many people mill about the studio floors. Initially I was running around, incredibly nervous - trying to make sure no disasters were occurring (I suspect to distract myself from working myself up), saving wine glasses and other pressing matters any self respecting gentleman would jump to in an occasion such as this.

So just how was it? Find out after the jump.


It was a very nice feeling knowing that people were here for us, to view our work - and engage with it in a fresh manner, oblivious to the daily workings of the studio and all of our traits which drive our work forward. 

It seems oddly, already something of a blur - everything rushed by in a small instant, considering the amount of time and effort put into it, during the weeks prior simply to launch it. Of course there is still the whole week ahead - but for that small, brief brilliant instant, it was a confirmation of relief and satisfaction that our practice for the year had paid off handsomely. I was quite taken back by the sheer amount of my business cards which were picked up - if you're reading this via the QR code I placed onto it, then thank you.

After awhile, later on in the evening we were ushered into the second year studio, for awards which were to be bestowed upon a select few. We were like sardines packed into a tin can by this point and even with Ian Kirkwood (the school head) on a microphone, it was a strain to hear just quite what was being given and to whom. So there I was clapping away at muffled prizes and fuzzy names, when people started turning to me in applause - this is where I stood there for a second whilst everyone insisted that I'd been awarded something so I shuffled as slowly as I could through a wall of people, convinced it was misheard. By this time Jess Dickens (from what I can remember) began steering me toward the front.

Both of us, along with Antonia Eleftheriou and Lloyd Hughes had been awarded the 'Embrace Arts at the University of Leicester Mentoring Prize', which is quite the mouthful, I think you'll agree! Ruth Sumner had signed the certificate off, so I've got more than a sneaking suspicion she had a good part to play in all of this - which I'm absolutely made up about of course, its such a wonderful opportunity and one I'm very grateful for.

I plan to get photos over the coming days to give you a good idea of what the show looks like - its a very exciting thing, so if you can get down to De Montfort University and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment