Search This Blog

Saturday 28 May 2011

Final year Assessments, and the upcoming Degree show

Many, many weeks ago now perhaps even before we broke up for Easter, we had to produce a completed proposal form, for our upcoming Degree show.

So, I give you Exhibit A - one completed proposal;



Now, admittedly I dont actually remember scanning this in and yet, I found it lying around, gathering (pretend) dust in my final year folder on my Mac. There was a wonderfully scrawled sketch showing the  desired space on the back - however I dont seem to have scanned that in sadly, but what you may notice is that I asked for two walls, which were situated opposite each other - in essence a bay. This was for my planned triptych and (finished) diptych to sit. 

Things didnt go quite according to plan however and so instead of hanging the triptych, I painted and hung a tetraptych. A tetraptych, is basically four panels instead of the original three, found in a triptych. 

A wonderfully elaborate plan of its layout may be found after the jump, along with the trials of prepping the studio itself.



I've been situated in the drawing room, located in the first year studio, which while it thankfully doesnt have the paint caked walls of the painting room, it does hold mounds of charcoal dust spewed from students eager fingers and their crazy life drawing sessions throughout the year.

I spent the better half of last Friday, in which we begun our tidy up, looking frantically for any of the numerous technicians we have, initially going to the Superman of the University staff, Geoff. He was of course taken with other tasks - I've no idea how that man doesnt work himself into the ground. 

Anyway, I hear you ask 'why Tom would you want to find help?', well simply put, we had brand new boards in the room, and as thankful as I was for this, several of them were badly warped and no amount of tape would hide this. Eventually, this was rectified with a few swift, ingenious blows to the side of the troublesome boards, with one simple nail wedged to prevent the warping, by a clever technician who I have never seen before in my life. 

Now before I find myself rambling along even more, I'll simply say I plan to have a follow up post to this a few days from now, explaining the remaining three days in which we had to prep the studio, and hang our work, which I imagine youre all very, very excited about indeed.

3 comments:

  1. Tsk tsk, sort out your handwriting Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youre joking arent you Blair, you should see it when its lowercase and flowing at full force!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Def following this so I have an idea what to expect next year! Break a leg and look forward to seeing it...
    (using LJ profile am Alison 2nd yr)!

    ReplyDelete